yoga europa

Friday, July 27, 2012

Ode to Little Lion

My dearest Laurel, you are the best part of me
And when I’ve misplaced myself
You smilingly unfurl your hands
Rendering that piece of me that you keep like a spare key

I keep a piece of you too
Concealed in my heart
But I can't bear to give it back
You are precious

Loving my shadow defenseless
When she tries to steal my spark
Fiercely keeping her at bay
With a flower in an open hand

And when I stumble unsure
You playfully catch me up
Holding me tenderly by a silken thread
Plucked from your luminous halo

When I'm trapped in my hallucinogenic hedge maze
Unable to recall my purpose here
Your sunlit voice whispers through my mind
Leading me back with soft sibilants

When my heart shatters, fiery fissures spiraling down
Grief retching through me
The mirror of my sorrow in your eyes
Incites me to smile

When the voice inside my head begins crucifying
I shut my ears listening intently
Until I find that flash of you
Which echos only love

When I’m scattered like flames, skipping in different directions
Threatening to burn everything and nothing
Coaxing me back to the hearth
You hush me into stillness

And when my fire dies and I float shiveringly alone
Your love is a net cast freely
Gently ensnaring
Carefully towing me toward the shore

Together we silently gather driftwood along the strand
And when the kindling is laid
Taking my hand, you smile your secret smile
And set my heart ablaze

2 comments:

  1. I wrote this for my best friend - the most amazing girl in the whole world! She's also a rock star wife & mother according to her kids & hubbie! It was a bit of a challenge as my poetry tends to be "dark and twisty" (her words) and she is all "warmth and light" (mine). I only hope I did her justice! If not, I may have to play in the genre of ode for awhile (though obviously throwing the conventions of rhyme & meter out the window)! XoXo Little Bull

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Moni-

    So beautiful and I am deeply honored. You are a glorious writer and an even better person and friend.

    Love you so!
    Laurel

    ReplyDelete